Sunday, April 29, 2012

Album recommendation - Wynonna: Sing, Chapter 1

This album was released by Wynonna in 2009, and it has some really great tracks. All the songs are covers of other artist's material, but it's really interesting to hear Wynonna's take on them. Wynonna is a singer, not a songwriter, but what a great singer she is! Here's a track listing:

  1. "That's How Rhythm Was Born" (George Whiting, J. C. Johnson, Nat Burton) - 3:05
  2. "I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry" (Hank Williams) - 4:05
  3. "Woman Be Wise" (Sippy Wallace) - 4:39
  4. "I Hear You Knocking" (Dave Bartholomew, Pearl King) - 2:55
  5. "Till I Get It Right" (Larry Henley, Red Lane) - 3:23
  6. "Are the Good Times Really Over" (Merle Haggard) - 4:49
  7. "The House Is Rockin'" (Doyle Bramhall, Stevie Ray Vaughan) - 2:33
  8. "Ain't No Sunshine" (Bill Withers) - 3:19
  9. "I'm a Woman" (Jerry Lieber, Mike Stoller) - 4:04
  10. "Anyone Who Had a Heart" (Burt Bacharach, Hal David) - 4:01
  11. "When I Fall In Love" (Victor Young, Edward Heyman) - 4:17
  12. "Sing" (Rodney Crowell) - 4:59
My personal favorites are "The House Is Rockin" and "Are the Good Times Really Over". Honestly, I didn't know if Wynonna could pull the Merle Haggard tune off, but she really captured the spirit of it. I think she also had a little help from her step-father, Larry Strickland, and the Palmetto State Quartet (including my friend Jeremy Calloway). Everyone involved did a terrific job.

The track that disappointed me the most was "Anyone Who Had a Heart". I love this Bacharach/David tune dearly, but Wynonna doesn't quite have the delicate delivery needed to pull it off.

Check it out!

Have a great Sunday,

Trevor

No comments:

Post a Comment