Tuesday, July 17, 2012

The Acting Years: Epilogue

This week, I heard a quote from former child actor Mara Wilson, responding to the question, "are you still acting"?

"The celebrity aspect is nothing short of ridiculous, and auditioning is brutal and dehumanizing. Every time I see a pretty young girl on the subway reading sides for an audition, my only thought it is, 'Man, am I glad I'm not doing that anymore.' I never feel nostalgia, just relief."

Sums up my feelings quite well. Though I never experienced anything that came close to her fame (she appeared in Mrs. Doubtfire, Matilda, etc.), she is spot on about the audition process. For a child, the rejection, and the self-consciousness it causes, are just too intense.

I am very thankful for the friends, and some of the experiences. But I am so relieved I don't have to do it anymore!

You can read her entire blog here:

http://marawilsonwritesstuff.com/are-you-still-acting/

No comments:

Post a Comment