Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Country memories

In a recent awards acceptance speech, Bob Dylan had some dismissive words about Tom T. Hall. This was unfortunate to me, because I've always had a soft spot in my heart for Tom T. Hall. He wrote my favorite song as a kid - "Harper Valley PTA". That was a record I literally wore out. I played it until the 45 wouldn't play anymore. I still think it's one of the great story songs, wrapped up in a very commercial recording. There's also some of the greatest dobro playing on that record I can recall.


Years later, I was honored to be asked to sing at the Hall's home in Franklin, TN. Each year at Christmas time, they had an open house from which the proceeds benefited a local animal shelter and rescue. Tom T's wife Dixie discovered me playing at an event at the Ellington Agricultural Center in Nashville. She asked me to be part of the open house, and I did this for a couple of years. It was really enjoyable. They were great people.


Now Miss Dixie is gone, but the storyteller (Tom T. Hall), is still with us. It was an honor to be asked to perform at their home.
"Miss Dixie" Hall and me
 
The Hall Home
 






No comments:

Post a Comment