Thursday, June 21, 2012

A little bit about me, part 2 (the acting years)

It’s funny to think about now, because my acting chops have declined so greatly, but at one time I was a pretty experienced child-actor. I am not sure how the acting bug bit me. I guess I always had an active imagination, and that had a lot to do with it. I made up stories and invented characters. I had a very outgoing personality. It came naturally to me. No one had to really teach me how to play a part.
I enjoyed many of my theater experiences. Many of the people I met became like family to me. I won’t go into the detail of each and every role I played. I played lead and supporting roles, ranging from the Artful Dodger in “Oliver”, to small roles with no name at all. Very early on, I played Helen of Troy’s grandson in “The Trojan Women”. We performed on the steps of the Parthenon in Nashville, which was an interesting experience. That show, and a small part in Arthur Miller’s “All My Sons”, represented the heaviest dramas I took part in.
I did quite a bit of professional theater. It provided a nice little income for me during my teenage years. I even auditioned, and got a few callbacks for some major shows that were traveling during that time. There were several trips to New York for auditions and callbacks. Those were fun experiences.
I was about to open with a church musical revue in 1997, when my father passed away very suddenly. I went ahead and opened the show that week, but it was really tough. I know he would have wanted the “show to go on”, but a lot of the fun of it disappeared for me.  I knew in my heart that period of my life was ending.
“Smoke On the Mountain”, also in 1997, was the final production I took part in. It was a very fun show - lots of music, comedy, and friends that were there during a difficult time in my life.
This is just a brief overview of about ten years of my life. I hope with the next installment to provide some details of - THE GOSPEL YEARS.
Thanks for reading!
(P.S. The above picture was taken during my lengthy Robert Wagner wanna-be period!)  


2 comments:

  1. Wow! I had no idea about all your acting experience! How very cool! Very sad about your Father, but I believe you honored him by what you did. I can't imagine the pain you must have felt. God bless you, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading Brian. It WAS tough, but I can't say enough about the people that were around me during that period. They were so supportive and caring. A true family. I miss the friendships I made in the theater. I don't miss the rehearsals or having to learn the lines. It's tough work.

      It gets easier. Now that almost 15 years have passed, I feel like I have finally let the pain go. I will never forget him, and I will always love him and be grateful, but I am not mourning anymore. I celebrate his life and the great memories!

      Delete